The Rope Pulled Elevator

One of the fascinating parts of the Hardaway Cottage for me is the rope pulled elevator. Mrs. Hardaway built the house as a potential rental house for those visiting the springs and the institute. This house is the only elevator in a single family dwelling on the institute grounds. When we purchased the house the elevator was not operational. Gene Spaulding had the elevator converted to an electric motor and removed the rope from the flywheel..

I wanted to remove the motor and return the elevator to its original rope pull operation. There was one problem in accessing the motor. The only way to get into the attic was to climb up the elevator shaft and through a small opening. I first had to cut an access door in the hall ceiling and add a pull-down ladder. Then for the removal of the motor.

My son had helped before the attic access was added. He was able to remove two bolts holding the motor to its mount. The right tools were definitely needed. With tools in hand, and Beth at the store, I decided it was time to get that rope on the elevator. It took a 2″ rope. The best price on this large rope size came from the purchase of an excersize rope. I needed 75 ft. I purchased two and will interweave the ends together to join the lengths and create a continuous loop. 

I removed the last two bolts and realized the rubber gasket used to cushion the teeth on the hub and motor was stopping the removal of the motor. A few good dead lifts of the motor and it jumped loose. Then, the 48″ diameter cast-iron fly wheel started to move. The elevator was at the bottom floor. There was 500 lbs of counterweights that started to slowly bring the elevator cage up to the second floor. I reached out to stop the flywheel from turning, then realized that would remove a great deal of skin since the flywheel was gaining speed. I stepped back in the attic and said “it will eventually stop when it gets to the top. Might break the beams but I can’t stop it.” Up came the elevator until it stopped with a loud bang. Nothing broke. However, the cage of the elevator is wedged in tight at the top of the guide beams. I will have to get it loose with some car jacks.

All I can say is “glad Beth was at the store.” I was not in danger but it was very loud.

I but the rope on the wheel. It is the perfect size and moves the wheel with ease. Now to get the passenger cage un-wedged. 

I have a rope on the elevator.

FDR Hyde Park Sedgwick Elevator

The motor is off and the rope is on!

The Lady Gets a Skirt

My Granddaughter Elly calls the Hardaway Cottage “The Grand Old Lady.:” And now the Lady gets a skirt on her deck. I had been looking at the whitewashed brick on the exterior of the house and wondered how I could mimic that look on the skirt of the deck. Building a brick front would have been far too cost prohibitive. I researched vertical concrete stamping and found that this could be affordably with the durability of concrete. I have purchased the brick stamp. However, I must finish building the support structure and facing. I have one piece of facing on the front. Below is a drawing showing the brick stamp on the skirt and the railing design with the wrought iron balusters. Now to finish the skirt, stairs, and rails by end of August.

And the Deck Goes On and On and On

OK, seems that a 715 square foot deck is a slighty larger project than I anticipated. This ride is definitly not as fun as I thought it was going to be when we started. Now to get it finished. It is coming along. It is just a large project. And following all the building codes really slows things down. As you can see below all of the decking is on. Beth is just finishing putting in the 4,000 screws that hold it to every joist. Finish boards are all along the edge and the posts are trimmed to the right height. I must finish the stairs and the deck skirt. We have special plans for the skirt. Everything has to dry out for three weeks before we can paint it white. Since it has rained every week this summer, that may take a while.

And the Deck Goes On Pt 2

Deck boards across 715 square feet  of area apparently take longer than I thought. Two days and still not finished. Maybe next work day. At least there is progress. The ramp is finished and the section in front of the sunporch is complete. Next time it will be more open space as we finish the right side of the deck.

Work Days are here!

All of you, our family and friends have been incredible supportive of our new project in Warm Springs, The Hardaway Cottage. Many of you have offered to help and we are ready for you! We are going to have two work days one on August 26th and another on September 9th. If you can clean windows, clean and scrape old paint or paint primer we need you! Message me or Mark. You can stay Friday and/or Saturday night. The front porch will be ready for work breaks! We will provide meals, tools and supplies. Thank You!